Saturday, October 10, 2009

that's what it's all about

You put your right foot in, you put your right foot out, and then you think about your lighting cause that's what it's all about. THAT'S WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT!

When you take a picture, dear friends, before you even start to worry about your exposure, check your lighting.

Where is your light?
Do you have enough light?
Do you have too much?
How can you use your light to give you the effects that you want?

Pay attention to your light. Go outside and look at your beautiful baby's face. If she has shadows all over her face, don't take the picture there! Just don't do it. Baaaaaaaaad lighting.

Pop her under a tree with her back facing the trunk. Have her look up at you. Now that's gooooooood lighting. Nice and even and what is called "open shade". We love open shade. It makes eyes sparkle, like diamonds.

I love diamonds.

2009 08 28_2234
SOOC image (straight out of the camera) Chichi, in open shade. DIAMONDS!

2009 08 28_2235
SOOC image Queen NaNa, not so much. In fact, facing the opposite direction. She's naughty.

After a little bit of photoshop love:
2009 08 28_2233B&W

Think think think about your light. Look at your subject's face, make sure the lighting is even, and then pat your self on the back because you thought about your lighting. Awwwwwe, you missed the shot.

And give some love to open shade. Word.

7 comments:

Janssen October 11, 2009 at 7:30 AM  

This post is like torture! I miss you, B, and your darling, squishy girls so much!

Julie October 11, 2009 at 8:24 AM  

Okay, that picture of Chichi is SO adorable, I want to frame it and put it up on MY wall!! "This is my other daughter. See how beautiful she is?!"

Anonymous October 12, 2009 at 11:29 AM  

How is this even possible? You are amazing.

Couple questions--so here's the thing. We have, like, some Costco camera, Olympus or something. I never take good pictures but I'm pretty sure after looking at your blog that my life's mission involves taking awesome pictures. But my husband (he's a great guy. You'd like him) says that before we go buying some 600 dollar camera, we should maximize the features of the camera that we have. But I'm thinking, if I try to take cool pictures on our camera I will just get discouraged because they never look that good. So, is it just that I am untalented? Or is my camera hopeless? Can I make progress on it?

And if it's impossible to take high quality pictures on this camera, is there a middle-of-the-road camera that will do a pretty good job, if I am not ready to spring for the big guns?

One more question. How do you get your kids to act all natural and cute when you're taking pictures? Mine always give me some cheese-face even when I'm trying to be sneaky. I like unique shots of something other than faces smiling, you know? Maybe a hand holding something, cute little feet, etc. But it's also hard to get motion shots on our camera. They always turn out blurry. I guess I should read the owner's manual or something, huh?

Anywho, nice pictures. :)

Kristi October 13, 2009 at 2:36 PM  

I thought you told me it was "all about" not saying cheese.

Crap.

The Kooky Queen--Rachel October 14, 2009 at 11:03 AM  

Love those kids!!! Their expressions are to die for!

Darling Details October 14, 2009 at 6:14 PM  

oh i have so much to learn... right now I'll focus on the light. thanks! it's over cast today, that should be good light...right? no glare. We'll see what happens.

Angela October 15, 2009 at 7:25 PM  

Dear Ralphie,

You are a sweetheart.

You took the time to visit my humble wee blog of down-underness, and even wrote a comment giving me tips.

I have since discovered aperture, and even more handy - the "Macro" setting on Auto. Oh, I love Macro! It took me a week of aperture-priority purgatory to learn my auto shots on macro were a lot better. That, and measuring the spacing between myself, my subject, and the background I wanted blurrifiedaroony.

Furthermore, ISO and I hang out sometimes, and we're completely blanking Flash. Flash is so last month.

Please consider the lighting song you scribed in your post my new photo-shoot theme boogie.

Love,
Angela Noelle
http://strikingkeys.blogspot.com/

P.S. Kristi, you're funnicute.