Saturday, May 22, 2010

seriously. no really, you must.

2010 05 17_4990
I know, techically it's not "soup weather" anymore.

2010 05 17_4989 copy
Ba!

This post begins my quest for delicious real food. No gunk. I'll keep the photos and recipes coming.


Wild Rice Soup

5 tbs butter
1 finely chopped onion
1 c. frozen or canned corn
½ lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 large carrot sticks, sliced
¾ c. all-purpose flour
6 ½ c. chicken broth (can use 7 bouillon cubes plus 6 ½ c. water)
2 c. cooked wild rice
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed (this is optional)
½ tsp salt
½ tsp curry powder (or a bit more, because I love curry and you should too)
½ tsp mustard powder
½ tsp dried parsley
½ tsp black pepper
1 c. slivered almonds
2 c. half-and-half (I used 1 cup fat free half&half and 1 cup skim milk, still good)

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion, corn, and carrots and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sauté 3-4 minutes more. Then add flour and stir well. Transfer mixture to a large pot. Over medium heat, gradually pour in the chicken broth, stirring constantly until all has been added. Bring just to a boil and then reduce heat to low and let simmer.

Next add the rice, chicken (if using), salt, curry powder, mustard powder, parsley, ground black pepper and almonds. Allow to heat through then pour in the half-and-half. Let simmer for 1 to 1 ½ hours. Do not boil or the roux will break. Delicious served in a bread bowl as well.

Yield: 8 servings

You're welcome.

9 comments:

Erin Cummings May 22, 2010 at 12:31 PM  

That looks really really good! Seriously thank you, I am going to try that!

Sherry May 22, 2010 at 1:21 PM  

It is always soup weather to me.

Plus in Utah it's just gotten cold and rainy again, so soup is on the menu at our place. Thanks for the recipe!

Janssen May 22, 2010 at 8:56 PM  

I just made this a week or two ago. Yummmmmm.

Darling Details May 22, 2010 at 9:29 PM  

that looks delish! I'm always in the mood for soup. Thanks for the recipe

Marci

snappy May 22, 2010 at 10:03 PM  

Souper dedouper! I just wish my family liked soup. I will have to make this anyway because I have some wild rice in my pantry.

Karen Ella May 24, 2010 at 11:10 AM  

Uh...for the record, there's 3 inches of SNOW at my house today. Yes, that's right. I drove to work in a blizzard on this, the 24th day of MAY! Bah. I'm all about this soup still...but I guess I still have soup weather.

The Kooky Queen--Rachel May 25, 2010 at 12:34 AM  

What are you talking about!?!?! It totally *IS* soup weather---it snowed today and I'm definitely making that!

Kristi June 22, 2010 at 11:11 AM  

Tried it and loved it Ralph, thanks!

Kristi June 22, 2010 at 11:12 AM  

and how lame is it that in Utah it is still soup weather. Mid June. Bah.